Once a year (or more depending on the amount of kilometres I drove) I give my bike a big maintenance checkup en below is a list of things that I do and check. Many of the things are described in more detail on other pages of my site.
- Replacement of the breaker points and then I look for sparks over the breaker points. When there are sparks over the breakers the capacitor needs to be replaced as well.
- Replacement of the spark plugs
- Replacement of the motor oil and oil filter
- Replacement of gearbox oil
- Replacement of oil in final drive and drive shaft
- Replacement of air filter. Check for oil in the air filter probably caused by a defective overpressure gauge on top of the engine or defective piston rings what will give to much pressure in the oil pan.
- Removal of rear wheel for checking the brake shoes and the splines. Grease the splines before mounting the wheel.
- Check the brake discs for cracks. This can be heard by tapping against the discs. Check the brake shoes.
- Replacement of the brake oil (reservoir under gas tank) and check the cable between the handle and the brake cylinder.
- Check brake oil level indicator switch and lamp by turning the kontakt on with the cap of the reservoir off.
- Check the clutch cable, especially near the handle.
- Check clearance on steering head by moving the fork legs with the bike on its center stand.
- Check swingarm clearance by moving the rear wheel sideways with the bike on its center stand.
- Check the tires.
- Grease the grease nipples. (side stand, clutch lever, swingarm).
- Check the oil pressure lamp (simply turn switch on).
- Check all lights.
- Check battery for fluid level and test every cell with special tool.
(c) W.P.Barendsen 2001